Honey Almond Biscotti
Share this Post
Italian style Biscotti have been favourite of Italians and slowly it has become very popular across the globe including India.
There is a saying that wife of ancient Italian sailors, used to give a good quantity of these authentic Italian biscotti, as these Italian sailors could not think of their tea without these amazing homemade biscotti, and the sailor’s wife were always happy to oblige their husbands with true handmade Italian Biscotti.
This time, I thought of a biscotti recipe which my few diabetic friends will love and I replaced one key ingredient sugar with Dabur honey. Honey is nature’s gift to mankind and for ages, we generously used honey to make desserts, shakes and use them as sweetners.
“The fruit of bees is desired by all, and is equally sweet to kings and beggars and it is not only pleasing but profitable and healthful; it sweetens their mouths, cures their wounds, and conveys remedies to inward ulcers.” – Saint Ambrose
Role of Honey as per Ayurveda
Honey known as madhu in ayurvedic scriptures is one of the most important medicines used in ayurveda. In ayurveda, honey is used for both internal and external applications.
It is mainly used for the treatment of eye diseases, cough, thirst, phlegm, hiccups, and blood in vomit, leprosy, diabetes, obesity, worm infestation, vomiting, asthma, diarrhoea and healing wounds.
It is also used as a natural preservative and sweetener in many ayurvedic preparations. It is also used as a vehicle along with some medicines to improve its efficacy or to mitigate the side effects of the other medicines it is mixed with. It is also known to mitigate the increased kapha dosha. (Kapha dosha is the ayurvedic category for body constitutions- those with kapha dosha are of larger proportions with robust frame.) It should also be kept in mind that fresh honey helps to increase body mass while old honey produces constipation and decreases body mass.
Honey in Ayurveda courtesy: http://www.cseindia.org/
So let’s get rolling for Honey Almond Biscotti recipe. Master these crispy almond biscotti and proudly serve your home made Honey Almond Biscotti with roasted almonds dipped in honey to our friends and family members.
Prep Time: 25 min
Baking Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1hr 10 min
Ingredients for Honey Almond Biscotti:
All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 200 gm
Eggs – 2 nos.
Almonds (roasted) – 100 gm
Dabur Honey – 100 gm
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Olive Oil – 50 ml
Milk – 50 ml
Preparation of Honey Almond Biscotti:
- Add Maida(all purpose flour), butter, dabur honey, olive oil, salt, and roasted and split almonds in 1 large bowl and mix them well using spatula.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven at 150 degree Celsius for 15 min while you are preparing your biscotti dough.
- Add little milk and prepare smooth dough for Honey Almond Biscotti.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and make a long log and flatten the dough using hands. Flatten the dough ensuring that the middle is thicker than outside.
- Place butter paper on baking tray, and place the dough in preheated oven for 30 min.
- Your 1st baking for honey almond biscotti is done. Take out the baked biscotti and allow it to cool 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Use a sharp serrated knife and cut it into thick pieces with the knife at 45 degree angle.
- Spread the 1st baked almond biscotti into baking tray and place them back in oven for another 10 -15 min at 170 degree Celsius till golden.
- Let them cool on wire mesh for 15 min till crispy.
- Serve them with roasted almonds dipped in honey. Get ready for compliments!
Note: Always ensure to buy good quality branded honey, as according to studies Olive Oil, Milk and Honey are most vulnerable ingredients to adulteration. Read this article published in huffingtonpost.com
Share this Post