Handi Chicken Dum Type – Prepared in Olive Oil
Share this Post
Few days back, my son was insisting on preparing a very different curry for chicken recipe at home. I thought of trying my hands at handi chicken recipe which used to be prepared at my nani’s place (grandmother’s home) during our childhood.
As non veg was not allowed in the kitchen, all non vegetarian dishes were prepared outside in the lawns of the plush bungalow.
Our servant was asked to arrange for a wood fire and since regular utensils could not be used, a new earthen pot was bought to prepare this amazing handi chicken recipe, which we used to relish sitting on grass, with constant instructions from our uncles and everyone and impatiently waiting for the handi chicken to be ready.
The taste of earthen pot, slow cooking on wood charcoal and having lunch in open garden used to be an amazing experience for entire family of male members and us(kids).
Handi chicken recipe is a dish which requires patience as it cooks in dum (sealed) at simmer flame for 15-20 minutes and its very rich gravy tastes best with garam (hot) Tandoori roti (Indian fresh dough bread) and Onion rings. The gravy texture and spice quotient are balanced with a use of cashew nuts.
To enjoy the rich taste of handi chicken serve it immediately after opening the handi (pot) and you will be mesmerized by the aroma of this just amazing Indian chicken curry style recipe.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 60 min
Spice Meter: Hot
Serves: 2-3 people
Ingredients for Handi Chicken recipe:
Chicken – 500 gm
Tomato paste– 250 gm
Cashew Nuts – 25 gm
Coriander seeds – 2 tablespoon
Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
Nutmeg – 1/4th teaspoon
Black Cardamom – 1
Green cardamom – 2
Red chili -1
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Chicken Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
Green Chilly – 1 sliced
Fresh Lemon Slice
Salt – to taste
Olive Oil – 100 ml
Preparation of Handi Chicken recipe:
1. Peel of onions and cut 2 onions into rings.
2. Put the roasted spices black cardamom, cinnamon, red chilli, black pepper, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon and cashew nuts and grind them in mixer grinder into coarse powder.
3. Prepare tomato paste in mixer grinder.
4. Heat the olive oil in handi or deep pan and add chicken pieces and bhunoe it for 5-7 min.
5. Now add tomato paste into handi and let it simmer for 10 – 12 min till dark red.
6. Now add the spices powder and salt, mix them well and let it simmer on slow flame for 5-10 min with occasional stirring.
7. Add 100ml water and bring it to boil.
8. Seal the handi/pot with aluminium foil and let it simmer for 15 mins.
9. Remove the foil.
10. Serve it with hot Tandoori roti and onions rings & green chillies.
· To prepare handi chicken recipe be patient and always prepare bhunoe chicken on low flame
You might also like chicken curry recipe
Share this Post