Gajar ka Halwa – (Indian Sweet Dessert Pudding)
Indian Winter marriage gala dinner are incomplete without gajar ka halwa as desserts. One cannot resist hot red gajar ka halwa loaded with nuts and raisins.
Gajar ka Halwa is a sweet dessert pudding associated mainly with the North India . The trick lies in patient boiling of grated carrots in a pot full of milk, nuts and cardamom flavoured sugar syrup.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 5 hours
Ingredients for Gajar ka Halwa :
Carrots: 2 kg
Full cream milk – 3 lt
Almonds – 1 tablespoon
Pistachios – 1 tablespoon
Cashew Nuts – 1 tablespoon
Raisins – 1 tablespoon
Cardamom – 4
Sugar – 500 gm
Clarified butter – 50 gm
Preparation of Gajar ka Halwa :
1. Peel of the carrots and grate them all.
2. Place the grated carrots in karahi (deep cooking pot) and add 3 lts of full cream milk and let it simmer for 4-5 hours with occasional stirring.
3. Once the milk has amost dried out add chopped nuts and raisins and desi ghee (clarified butter) and bhunoe it for 10-15 min.
4. Now grind sugar with cardamom in mixer grinder and add the sugar flavoured with cardamom right in the end, before you shut down the flame.
5. Your hot gajar ka halwa is ready to be served.