Indian Curry – Rasaaj
Gram Flour fritter in Mustard Gravy
Indian Curry is becoming more and more popular across Europe (England), US and South Asia. Rasaj is very much Banarasi main course. This has very sharp and pungent taste of mustard. As per my mother when she got married, Rasaaj was one of the recipes which my grandmother asked her to master.
Rasaaj is very spicy and goes very well with steam rice and chapati (Indian fresh dough bread). The main ingredients for this pungent dish are generous use of yellow and brown mustard seeds along with green chilies and garlic for gravy.
style=”display:inline-block;width:234px;height:60px” data-ad-client=”ca-pub-5175790354183999″ data-ad-slot=”9913609867″>
Prep Time: 60 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Spice Meter: Hot
Serves: 3 -4 People
Ingredients for Rasaaj:
- Gram Flour (Besan) – 200 gm
- Onion (chopped) – 100 gm
- Garlic Cloves – 7-8
- Yellow Mustard Seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Brown/black Mustard Seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Green chillies – 2 nos.
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoon for gravy
- Olive Oil – 250 for deep frying besan fritters
Ingredients for Olive Chutney (dip):
- Hojiblanca green pimiento stuffed Olives – 7-8 nos.
- Green Coriander Leaves – 50 gms
- Cumin seeds – 1teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2 nos.
- Lemon with peel – ½
- Salt – to taste
Tip: I like to add Lemon peel into my Olive chutney as it adds a very sharp bitter flavor which goes well with strong flavor of Rasaaj.
Method for Rasaaj preparation:
1. Prepare thin batter of besan and add garam masala, red chilli powder and salt.
2. Heat the pan and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
3. Add the besan batter and keep it stirring constantly on high flame to create smooth paste like halwa consistency.
4. Grease a plate, pour this paste, and spread it evenly with your hands using water to avoid sticking on your hand.
5. Let it cool down and then cut it into cubes.
6. Heat the pan and add 250 ml of Olive Oil for deep frying these rasaj (fritters) golden brown.
For Rasaaj gravy:
7. Make paste of Mustard seeds, onion garlic and green chilies.
8. Heat the pan and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Put cumin seeds and add the mustard paste.
9. Bhunoe it over low flame for 15-20 min.
10. Now add 500ml water and salt and let it boil.
11. Serve this awesome Indian Curry – Rasaaj hot with chapati, steam rice, onion and green olive chutney.
• To make awesome gravy always cook spices on low flame
• Since olives are very salty since always preserved in brine(salt water) be careful while putting salt
• You can add tomatoes in your green olive chutney to create another version of your olive dip.