Sweet Potato Fries
Shakarkandi ki French Fries – Healthy Kid’s Recipe
Sweet Potato fries have flavour which most kids would just love and love ……
Every Kid loves Potato fries be it homemade or in any fast food joints. I am sure you all must have had tough time convincing your kids on health benefits of sweet potato but they won’t just budge and ignore all your convincing skills to eat healthy and sweet potato veggie.
That’s where Sweet Potato fries come into picture. The name “Fries”, its presentation and the fact that it will be deep fried in Olive Oil makes it easily acceptable healthy snacks for your young hearts.
It’s very quick recipe to make however you need to be careful and right way to cut and frying makes them really tasty. I have preferred not to use baked or grilled sweet potato fries recipe as kids don’t appreciate these over deep fried ones.
Sweet Potato in itself looks ugly yet the final dish i.e. Sweet Potato Fries would really love tempting and one would just empty the Bowl.
So let’s start with the recipe….
Prep Time: 90 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Spice Meter: Medium
Serves: 2 Kids
Sweet Potato – 500 gm
Olive Oil – 250 ml
Black Pepper (fresh ground) – 1 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut them into fries. Wash it under running water.
2. Boil the water in sauce pan and take it off the flame. Add 2 teaspoon of salt and put the cut sweet potato pieces into the hot salted water. Keep it there for about 1 hour. This process is important to make crispy fries.
3. Drain the water and let sweet potato pieces dry on tissue paper or towel.
4. Heat Olive Oil on pan to about 180 degree Celsius.
5. Now put the pieces and deep fry them on Medium to high flame for about 15 minutes or till golden brown and crispy.
6. Take out the ready fries and drain excess oil using tissue paper.
7. Sprinkle freshly grounded black pepper and salt.
8. Shake it and serve them in bowl.
• Oil Temperature should never cross 200 degree Celsius as Olive Oil has smoke point of about 220 degree Celsius and heating it beyond 220 degree Celsius will lead to free radical formation and oil becomes unhealthy.
• The process of keeping sweet potato fries in salted hot water is very important step to have crispy and evenly cooked fries. So do not bypass this step.
• I always prefer fresh ground pepper to powdered ones available in market as freshly grounded ones have much better flavour and seasoning effect than the powdered ones.