Health benefits of Olive Oil
What makes Oil Healthy ?
Before we decide to pick up any edible oil, we should understand some basics about edible oil.
Any Oil consists of 3 type of fatty acids:
1. Saturated Fatty Acid (SFA) or bad fat
2. Monounsaturated Fatty Acid (MUFA) or good fat
Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid ( PUFA) Neutral/Bad
Saturated fatty acid is bad fat, which gets deposited in our body and even in our blood vessels leading to high BP, cholesterol and finally can lead to Cardiac arrest.
Monounsaturated fatty acid is good fat and it actually cleans up fat(plaque) deposited in blood vessels.
Polyunsaturated fatty acid consists of w-3 and w-6 fatty acid. If PUFA contains only w-6, then it is not very healthy as it even reduces good cholesterol(HDL), but when w-3 :w-6 is in a ideal ratio of 1:2 then it becomes beneficial.
Plus oils contain antioxidants and vitamins like vitamin E which have lot of health benefits.
So a good or healthy oil to consume should have:
1. Highest MUFA
2. Lowest SFA
3. Good amount of antioxidants and vitamins.
Check out the fatty acid table composition of all major edible oils
- Olive oil contains very high amount of Monounsaturated Fatty Acids(MUFA) which decreases bad cholesterol (LDL)/ triglycerides thus lowers the cardiac risk.
- Rich anti-oxidants fight against cancer and help in increasing the
- Olive Oil improves metabolic functions
- Olive Oil has proven role in prevention against diabetes too.
- Olive oil’s natural fats nearest to mother’s milk which stimulates bone growth in children and also prevents osteoporosis.