Interesting facts about olive tree
- Did you know that olive trees are one of the oldest plant species and the fossilized olives trees aged 50000 – 60000 years were found in the volcanic rocks in Greece.
- Olive trees are very hard and they are resistant to drought, disease and fire and this is one of the reasons for their longevity and their widespread use in the region.
- The Olive Tree of Vouves is considered to be one of the oldest olive tree. It is estimated to be over 3,000 years old. It still produces olives, and they are sold very expensive. So older the olive tree more premium it commands for its olive fruits and olive oil. The average life expectancy of an olive tree is 300-600 years.
- Traditionally olive tree was abundant in Mediterranean countries. Now the olive tree farming has spread outside the Mediterranean and today is farmed in places as far removed from its origins as southern Africa, Australia, Japan, China and even India.
- Top 5 Olive producing countries are Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Morocco ( Main countries of production (Year 2011 per FAOSTAT)
- In India, Rajasthan Olive Cultivation Limited (ROCL) is promoting cultivation of Olive in India. The company was constituted in collaboration with the Government of Rajasthan, Finolex Plasson Industries (India) Limited, Pune & Indolive Limited of Israel. Olives are being cultivated in districts of Bikaner, Alwar, Sriganganagar, Jhunjhunu, Nagaur and Jalore.
- The olive branch is a symbol of peace or victory.